Once you’ve setup Azure Backup to protect your Azure Virtual Machine (see this guide for more info), the process to restore it is quite simple. I recommend running test restores on a regular schedule to make sure it’s working correctly.
To restore an instance of your Azure Virtual Machine follow this quick guide.
- Log into https://manage.windowsazure.com
- In the left side menu, select “Recovery Services”
- Click to open the backup vault you created for the virtual machine.
- Click the “Protected items” tab across the top.
- Click “Restore” down the bottom to restore the selected virtual machine.
- Select a recovery point and click next.
- Fill out the restore instance details. You will need to give it a unique name, but make sure you select the appropriate cloud service, storage account, and virtual network if you’re following this in a disaster recovery scenario.
- Click the tick in the bottom right to start the restore process
- Once the restore is completed you can download the new RDP connect file and test.