Microsoft Excel cannot access the file on SharePoint
You may experience an issue that prevents you from opening Excel documents via SharePoint Online. The error displays two messages, the first is:
Sorry we couldn’t open https://yoursharepointsite.sharepoint.com/DocumentLibrary/exceldocument.xlsx
The second error message reads:
Microsoft Excel cannot access the file ‘https://yoursharepointsite.sharepoint.com/DocumentLibrary/exceldocument.xlsx’. There are several possible reasons:
- The file name or path does not exist.
- The file is being used by another program.
- The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.
This issue can be caused by problems with the Office Document Cache. It can often be resolved by clearing the Office Document Cache.
How to clear your Office Document Cache
- Open Windows Explorer and copy and paste one of the following locations into the address bar:
Clearing Office Document Cache for Office 2016
Clearing Office Document Cache for Office 2013
- Select all files beginning with ‘FS’
- Delete these files
- Close Excel
- You should now be able to open the Excel document from SharePoint
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!