Microsoft has delivered Office 365 from their Australian datacenters since the end of May 2015.
It was a big deal at the time, and it’s still a major selling point for their cloud platform, especially amongst businesses that have strict data residency requirements.
If you’ve purchased Office 365 since May 31, 2015 with an Australian billing address, you’ll be accessing your services from the Australian datacenters already. If you purchased it before then, some of your services might have moved automatically, though some may still be delivered from the Asia Pacific region.
If you’d like to move, be quick – the option is only available until October 31, 2016.
How to request a move to Australia’s datacenters
To make sure your organisation’s data is being hosted in Australia, or to request a move, follow these instructions.
- Log into the Office 365 Admin portal as a Global Administrator
- Click Settings then Organization Profile
- See your current Data location
- To move your data click Edit under Data residency option
- Click the switch to Yes, then click Save
- Within 12 months from October 31 2016, your data will be migrated to the Australian datacenters. You will be notified once it’s complete.
Since it’s a complex operation, no exact date for your migration can be given. See this link for more info: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn878163.aspx